When I received an email asking if I would try Feelgoodz Flip Flops, I was a little hesitant. Could I honestly judge how they feel when I have never been a big fan of flip flops? Your feet feel like they have been walking on the road and the strap between your toes is so uncomfortable. To be honest, I never understood how people could walk around with flops on all day.
So why did I decide to try them? Kyle Berner’s passion for life. He describes himself as a self proclaimed flip-flop-wearing kind of guy, and left his desktop job for Thailand seeking adventure. He ended up teaching English in Thailand and soaking up the culture and its people. While attending a market place searching for a new pair of flip flops, he discovered “Thailand’s most comfortable, all-natural rubber flip-flop.” Natural latex is abundant in Thailand. Shortly thereafter, Feelgoodz was born which combines his love of flip flops with the country that he adores.
You have to love this guy. His philosophy:
“Mai Pehn Rai.” It’s Thai for “It’s cool, no worries, or take it easy,” and this is how we want to live our lives.† It’s our mantra, our lifestyle.† Adopting this philosophy helps us build a better business and a healthier lifestyle.
But this Flip Flop Company is not just a bunch of guys singing “Be Happy.” They are doing their part for the environment as well. The flip flops are made of biodegradable natural latex. Only nontoxic dyes are used. They also use only recycled paper and recycled flop hangers. When your Flip Flop wears out or you just get tired of them, send them back to the Company and they give them to worm farms.
That’s not all. The Company believes in giving back.
“One reason we started this business was to give back to the people of Thailand. It is imperative that our Thai employees are treated fairly. We don’t condone child labor. We demand fair wages. We expect proper working conditions. Currently, there are no natural rubber fair trade programs set in place, and therein lies part of our cause.”
To that end, the Company has distributes 3 percent of its profits to fair trade, environmental, and micro-lending organizations. In addition, the Company also plans on developing an infrastructure that creates a healthy economy in Southeastern Asia.
So, back to my feet? I wore the sandals around and thought they were very comfortable. They molded to my swollen feet and the strap did not burn my toes. If I wasn’t so self-conscious of my swollen feet, I would have worn them all day. (I suffer from adolescent onset Lymphadema which causes my feet to swell especially in the summer.) Show you how much I love you guys. Who else would put their swollen feet on their website?
See the picture above of how thick the Flip Flop is.
I also love the different Flop colors available. I choose the pink ones to try but there are eight other colors to choose from. (Don’t all gals love pink?)
My only problem with the sandals is that they run a little small. I ordered a size 7 flop and perhaps I should have ordered a 7 1/2. My feet were at the end of the sandal. Berner told me use the following as a guide when choosing the appropriate woman size:
American size 6-7.5 – Thai 9.5
American size 7.5-9 – Thai 10
American size 9-10 – Thai 10.5
American size 10-11 – Thai 11
He explained that I might have been border line and perhaps should have ordered the size up. My advice is order a size up just to make sure they fit properly. Loving the shoes as much as I do?
Want Feelgoodz feet? I knew you would. The Company has been very kind to offer one Green Talk reader (male or female) your choice of Feelgoodz Flip Flops. Here are the rules:
- You must be over 18 and live in the US.
- Leave me a comment here telling me about why you love to wear flip flops. If you don’t have a specific reason, just say so.
- To double your chances consider joining my Feedburner email list or subscribe to my RSS feed. Both subscriptions are listed on the upper right hand column. Be sure to come back and leave a separate additional comment to tell me which one you joined. If you are already a member, just say so.
- To triple your chances of winning, twitter about this contest and come back and leave a separate additional comment of the url (weblink) of your twitter comment.
- You must enter by October 23, 2009 6 PM EST time to win. A winner will be chosen at random on Monday, October 26, 2009. Good Luck everyone!
- PlanetShoes: Got Your Eco Feet Covered. #GoGreenGetFit Challenge
- Verterra: The Dinnerware that Makes You Feel Good To Entertain
- Give Dad a Swig for Father’s Day
- Fundamentally Dog: Wear your Pooch Love T-shirt Proudly
- All the Cool, Green Kids have a Kids Konserve Lunch Bag