As I stare at my refrigerator packed with food, sometimes I wonder if it is okay to drink the coconut milk that expired or can I refreeze the meat I was supposed to use. StillTasty, an internet and iPhone app, has all the answers and helps me to decide whether to toss or eat.
Why Do I love this site?
I had to force myself off the site since its is jam packed with information.
- How long it takes to ripen fruit and then how long before it spoils in the refrigerator.
- What items can you freeze. Did you know you can freeze eggs?
- Should you toss or eat–everything from beverage to meat to gum! Honestly, I didn’t know gum goes bad.
- How long after the expiration date can you use an item safely. Hmmm. That could come in handy.
Okay, like I said above, I can’t stop peeking around the site. Once I found out gum can go bad in 10 months, I was hooked. Here are some more surprising findings:
1. You can freeze eggs.
“Crack open and mix in a touch of salt (if using for savory dishes) or sugar (for baking or desserts); place in freezer bags or airtight containers.”
2. Most products that you make homemade can be kept in the refrigerator for only 2-5 days. Admittedly, I must be killing my family since I left homemade vegetable broth in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. It passed the smell test.
3. Baking soda only lasts 6 months when opened. To tell if it is effective, the site states add one teaspoon of baking soda to 3 tablespoons of vinegar. If it bubbles then it is okay. Gluten free baking uses both baking powder and baking soda . If the baking soda isn’t effective, your gluten free baking will suffer.
What is your #1 item that spoils in the refrigerator?
My #1 food item would be cucumbers, followed by mashed potatoes, and then salad. How about you?
Join the Conversation:
- Would StillTasty come in handy or do you pretty much know how long to keep or toss food?
- What do you find that you toss the most?
Next up is ways to keep food out of the trash or compost.
- Eggshells: Don’t Toss Em. Top 7 Uses.
- Freeze Your Tomatoes to Reduce Spoilage and Save Cash.
- Corn Gluten to Prevent Crabgrass. It is Time to Use!
- Vegan Soy Free Meatballs Recipe for Meatless Monday
- Food Preservation During a Power Loss. Canning in the Dark After Sandy