Back to school is right around the corner. But are you like me? Fretting about finding school supplies that are planet friendly, nontoxic, and the cost doesn’t break the bank? Luckily, I don’t have to make a choice when sourcing from Green Apple Supply. Co-founder and chief Mama Bear, Stephanie Tobor, has you covered in the non-toxic, earth friendly department from school supplies to home products.
Prices on the site according to Tobor, can be 50 to 60% below retail prices. She passes on the savings since her company is a not for profit. She explains as follows:
“Green Apple Supply is a nonprofit because converting shoppers to eco products is more important to me than making money on the sale of those products,” says founder Stephanie Tobor. “This is an experiment challenging traditional capitalist business models. I am attempting to create a company that takes the triple bottom line attitude to the next level. We are providing a service to the environment and our shoppers and creating jobs without taking advantage of the green movement.”
Kinship with Company’s Environmentally Aligned Values
I have a kinship with company founders, Stephanie and Jim Tobor. Their daughter was diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis when she was three. Many of you know my journey with four learning disabled children (and a host of other issues) which prompted me to build an environmentally friendly house. Thereafter, son #1 was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. Like me, Stephanie wondered if environmental pollutants caused our children’s issues.
In fact, according to American Speech and Language Association,
“The prevalence of developmental disabilities in U.S. children rose 17% between 1997 and 2008, increasing from 12.84% to 15.04%, according to analysis of National Health Interview Surveys data (Boyle et al., 2011).”
Our children touch their school supplies every day. But did you know that their school supplies could contain the following?
- Toxic solvents ( Can be in glues, art supplies, and markers)
- PVC : Host of issues with phthalates, dioxins, lead, mercury, and vinyl chloride. (Binders, pens, etc.)
- antimicrobial chemical, triclosan. Can lead to hormone disruption, allergies, and thyroid problems.
Loves On the Site:
Green Apple Supply has you covered no matter where you are in your environmental journey. The Company offers special categories such as made in the United States and plastic free living. Best yet, all shipping is carbon-free through partner Carbonfund.org to further reduce your impact.
Some of my favorite school supplies on the site are:
- Coccoina Glue Stick Blister Pack, 2-20g Glue Sticks. (Solvent Free). Everyone needs glue.
- glob- Paint Kit. Water soluble, bamboo brushes, and 6 compostable jars. Paint kit that is safe for your budding Picasso.
- Neapolitan 100% Recycled Construction Paper. Never heard of this! Fun and safe for the Earth.
- Bighorn Backpack- 3 Color Options. Recycled polyester fabric. No virgin fabric here.
- Eco Stars Recycled Crayons Star Shape, 10 or 20 Pack. Made out of 100% recycled and recyclable crayons and packaging material. Love that they used old crayons.(Pictured above.)
- Avery Ecofriendly Address Labels, 1″ X 2-5/8″ (water based adhesive which is 100% recyclable and paper is processed chlorine-free.) Now I don’t have to worry about labels in the recycled can.
Realize I only touched upon the school supplies. Green Apple Supply offers gifts, home decor, and art supplies as well. Don’t get me started on my loves from the home decor side. (Okay, just one. The Bottle cap bowl. OMG. Talk about a discussion creator.)
Next Year’s School Supplies
Although next year seems so far away, start the conversation about providing your school lists to Green Apple Supply. Currently, the Company provides grade specific school supplies for some of its area schools. The Company can work with your school to help to green your school supplies.
Join the Conversation:
- Are you finding sourcing green school supplies hard?
- What items are your must haves for green school supplies?
- What school supplies worry you the most?
- Recycle Your Crayons Or Make Your Own Crayon Art
- Thrifty is the New Green for Back to School Supplies
- Make Back to School Shopping PVC free
- NonToxic PVC free School Supplies Made Easy by CHEJ’s Guide
- My Crayon Recycling Program: Symptomatic of a Bigger Problem?