How many lunch boxes do you pack in a week? Several for your children? Maybe a couple for you? I looked at my own children’s plastic footprint and it was astonishing. My high school children use to pack the above lunch every day. Chips, Plastic water bottle, and sandwich in a plastic bag. According to waste-freelunches.org
“Much of the trash we generate comes from the packaging on the food we buy, and lunch foods are no exception. In fact, it has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 67 pounds of waste per school year. That equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average-size elementary school.”
So how do we reduce our lunchroom waste? Leave it two moms to come up with a solution. Tammy Pelstring and Amy Hemmert, founders of Laptop Lunches, have created the Laptop Lunch Bento Box Set with multiple containers to make lunch waste free.
Best yet, the Bento boxes are lead free. Unfortunately, many lunch boxes contain lead in them. Did I mention that the boxes were recyclable and dishwasher safe?
What in the Box?
Each Laptop Lunch Bento Box Set comes with the following:
“A hard outer shell containing 5 food containers, a set of utensils, and The Laptop Lunch User’s Guide
- Removable inner containers can accommodate a variety of food sizes
- Tray-like feel makes lunch fun.
- Sealable lid prevents wet foods from leaking onto other foods.
- Dip container for sauces, salad dressings, and dips makes eating vegetables fun.
- Single unit eliminates the mess of jumbled containers.
- Stainless steel fork and spoon with stylish plastic handles are great for leftovers.
- Convenient size fits in backpacks and most lunchboxes.
- Durable plastic containers (not lids) are microwave safe.
- Containers and lids are dishwasher safe–top rack only”
The Laptop Lunch System comes with a Lunch Bento Box Set along with an insulated carrying case and reusable water bottle. Team this lunch bag up with a nontoxic ice bag and you have a waste free lunch box that Al Gore would be proud of! This lunch box is ideal for school lunches.
How about the Large Appetite Crowd?
What do people with larger appetites such as teenagers use? I actually asked this question a year ago because I looked at the bento box and thought I would have to buy two for my teenager. As many of you may have experienced, they can have a bottomless pit when it comes to eating.
Amy suggested the Lunch Date that includes Laptop Lunch with a hemp bag in two different color choices (navy blue or designer color) to insert your lunch box in. In addition, the set contains a lunch jar, stainless steel drink container, bento sleeve to insert your nontoxic ice pack in, and guide to change the way you look at lunches.
Both lunch systems are good for college students and working people as well.
How about adding a Nutritional Lunch to the Box?
So, now we have the perfect solution for lunchroom waste, what about help with making the lunches more nutritious? Laptop Lunches’ website is full of wonderful lunch menus and helpful tips to make any lunch more nutritious along with a free newsletter with inspirational lunch ideas from other moms. Always remember to pack lunches with organic fruits and vegetables.
However, if you cannot afford to buy all of your fruit and vegetable as organic or it is not readily available. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has compiled a Shoppers’ Guide to help you as to which conventional vegetables and fruits are acceptable when organic is not an option. For example, there are some fruits that are low in pesticides such as bananas, pineapples, mangoes and kiwis.
A good nutritious meal will help you through those seemingly long hours of afternoon work or school. As you head home with your Laptop Lunch box or bag, you will know that your lunch was not wasted.
You want one. I know.
Join the Conversation:
- Do you own a Laptop Lunch box? If so, how do you like it?
- Do you pack waste free lunches and if so, what do you use?
- How have you gotten your teens to pack a waste free lunch?
- What is your favorite nutritional lunch? Give us the yummy details.
- Portion Control Help with Laptop Lunch Boxes
- National School Lunch Program Struggles. Lunch Line Producer Reveals
- Preserve Recycles No. 5 plastics at Whole Foods
- All the Cool, Green Kids have a Kids Konserve Lunch Bag
- Crunch Pak Sliced Organic Apples: What’s with all the Plastic Packaging?