Photo by Brooke Raymond
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner where we shower our love ones with chocolates, flowers and cards. Perhaps you would like to make this day a little different.
A little greener
A little racier
Just a little different.
Here are 10 ideas that are sure to make your V-Day smolder so that even Mama Earth would approve.
1. Spice it up with Naughty Undies: Who says that you have to bare it all to be sexy. Sometimes the imagination is worth the fantasy. Spice things up with the Daily Green’s list of sexy eco- lingerie.
Why settle for lingerie which is made of non-biodegradable materials such as nylon, polyester, and rayon when you can have the luxury of a natural material such organic cotton, hemp/silk blend, or bamboo rub your skin.
2. Hot Bubble Bath: Let the draining day just melt away while being surrounded by scented organic soy candles in a bubble bath made for two. Try an EO’s bubble bath. It is free of sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates and contains pure therapeutic-grade essential oils.
As for candles, try Lumia Organic candles. Why organic soy candles? Soy candles burn far less soot, are not genetically modified, and are from a renewable resource unlike its non-organic soy or paraffin based counterparts.
3. Valentine Cards: How many trees do you need to cut down in the name of love? None when you send an e-card from Care 2. For every free e-card that you send, Care 2 will donate to an environmental nonprofit to save a square foot of the Rainforest.
4. Toys are not just for Children: Why should kids have all the fun. There are big people toys as well. They are sure to take your lovemaking up a notch. Most sex toys are made out of PVC, which is softened with phthalates, a potentially health hazard.
Why should your fun become hazardous to your health? Get good “vibes,” or assorted play toys from Smitten Kitten made out of nontoxic medical grade silicon and let the good times roll. What’s a little love making with out some bondage? Smitten Kitten has you covered in this department.
Or check out the famous Rabbit Habit on Babeland made famous from Sex and the City and other assorted adult toys.
5. Chocolate is an Aphrodisiac: Well, I don’t know if chocolate gets you in the mood, but I know it makes you happy. Who doesn’t love chocolate? Consider organic fair trade chocolate with organic champagne as a before or after treat.
For chocolate, check out my articles, “Organic Chocolates Never Tasted So Good.” Love Theo Chocolates. TCHO is to die for. Part II is Organic Chocolate, a Little Taste of Heaven. Berkshire Bark is delicious.
6. Flowers are a Way to a Woman’s Heart: Buying organic flowers helps supports farmers who are leading the way to sustainability. Why give your loved one flowers containing pesticides? Consider purchasing organic roses from Organic Style.
7. Personal Lubricant that really helps: According to Good Clean Love, makers of an eco-friendly lubricant, many over the counter lubricants are “made with chemicals designed first for cars or oven cleaner. Many women have severe reactions to these ingredients and believe the problem is with them and not the products they are using.” Why should a lubricant hinder instead of help? Choose their lubricant to jump start your night. Don’t forget to check out Good Clean Love’s aromatic oils pleasure butters too.
8. Silk Sheets. Why shouldn’t your prince or princess have the best without all the toxic chemicals? Romp around in these environmentally friendly luxurious silk sheets from Anna Sova.
9. Fair Trade Condoms: Yes, you heard right. French Letter condom are fair trade condoms made out of natural latex insuring that rubber plantation workers in South Asia are guaranteed higher wages and better living conditions.
10. Diamond are a Girl’s Best Friend. Bling is forever! You want to be a knight in shining armour, well give your lovely a token of your affection. Consider buying diamonds from Brilliant Earth, which sells conflict free and ethically made with renewed gold and platinum. Conflict free diamonds originate from ethical and environmentally responsible sources, which are free from violence and human rights abuse surrounding the processing and acquisition of the diamonds. In addition, this type of diamond mining causes minimum environmental impact to the Earth.
Want something elegant that already exists? Don’t forget estate jewelry. Maybe the local jewelry store sells a beautiful piece or two.
Perhaps some of the ideas have given you some food for thought or conjured up other ideas. Whatever you decide to do on V-day, consider your impact and give some love to the Earth too. Have any ideas to share? We are all ears!
Disclaimer: Some of the links are Amazon affiliate links to help Green Talk to keep delivering great content.