How many of you have torn towels or blankets? Do you throw them away or use them as rags? The other day I noticed that one of the blankets that my kids use had a huge hole in it. Large enough that their entire bodies could shimmy through it. Sewing it back together was not happening. However, I knew who could benefit from my holey blanket. Dogs and cats at shelters.
The ASPCA estimates annually there are 5-7 million cats and dogs in shelters. What a sad piece of information.
Why Do Dogs Love Blankets
I had a dog growing up name Beau Beau (pronounced “bo bo.”) If you can guess from the name, he was a french poodle. Well, Beau Beau loved to snuggle in my parents’ bed although he had his own dog bed. I am sure Beau Beau’s snuggling had nothing to do with the fact he was part human according to my mother.
I never understood why dogs in general like blankets. Better yet, I never understood why dog shelters are always asking for towels, blankets, and sheets for dogs. What I gleamed from some dog sites was the following information:
- dog shelter floors are cold cement. Who wants to sleep on that?
- dog like to burrow since it makes them feel secure
- some young dogs like to nurse on blanket
This all now made sense why dog shelters like Operation Blanket of Love in California request these items.
I took my holey blanket over to St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center in New Jersey. How could I tear up the blanket to make rags. The Center gladly accepted my gift and said the dogs and cats will love the blanket.
In fact, most shelter accepts lots of other donations, including money. For example, see St. Hubert’s wish list. I am sure it is very similar to shelter near you.
By the way when you are dropping off your dog donation, consider adopting a dog or cat. Dorothy in the above picture needs a home.
Where Can I Find a Shelter?
Listed below are some of the databases that I found in different areas of the world. If you know one that I missed, please add it to the comments.
- In the United States: AdoptAPet.com.
- Canada: Adopt an Animal Canada
- Europe: No Kill Shelters
- Australia: Cat World (The site lists shelters for both dogs and cats.)
Join the Conversation:
- Do you have blankets or towels to donate? Have you ever donated blankets or any other items to an animal shelter?
- Does your animal love his or her blanket?
- Have you ever adopted a dog or cat from the shelter? Tell us about the adoption.