I love the Christmas season. Every part of it! The holiday spirit, the decorations, and the parties. But can we combine consumption with green consciousness? Absolutely. Here are some easy ideas to keep your green sanity during the holidays.
1. Starts with the Christmas Tree:
Go with the real version rather than the PVC laden one. Check out my Charlie Brown Christmas post which tells you how to source a tree from a sustainable farm, how to replant a live tree rather than cut one down to where you can rent a tree (depending on where you live.)
My preference, if possible, obtain a tree that you can replant or use an alternative type plant. Doesn’t a rosemary bush tree sound divine?
Or simply be creative. No one said you have to have a tree. Check out alternative Christmas tree ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Old books anyone?
2. X-Nay the Wrapping Paper
Gift wrap and all the trimmings is such a waste when you can simply look in the cabinets or even the recycling bin to wrap your gifts. Here are some ideas:
- Reuse old Cards to Make Gift Tags. (Don’t have any? Start saving for next year.) See how I use mine.
- Wrap with the funny pages to give your giftee a chuckle.
- Wrap Minimally. See my suggestions here where LESS is MORE.
- Use Sustainable Bows and Ribbons. I’ve taken the guess work out of it for you. Buy sustainable bows here and here.
3. Light up with LEDs
4. Holiday Cards
5. De-Stress Shopping for Holiday Dresses
So, if I can do this for such a big event so can you.
So think of the green that you will be saving by renting. No one needs to know you rented that amazing designer dress.
Join the Conversation:
- What are your favorite tips on how to make the holidays greener?
- Have you or will you use any of the above ideas during the holiday season?
- Have you ever rented a dress, handbag, etc?
Note, some affiliate links in the post. GT earns a small commission to help keep rolling out great content.
Photo by Dreamscape Photographs