This time is the saddest time of the year when my tomato plants are ready to be pulled or suffer the ravages of the first killing frost. I guess the tomatoes didn’t get the text message to slow down as they continue to flower and create new tomatoes in September. So instead of trying to ripen the tomatoes inside, I decided to use the green tomatoes. How does a slow cooker green tomato chili dish sound? De-lish.
If you don’t have any green tomatoes, I am sure one of your neighbors/relatives/ or friends will have an overabundance. Just ask for some of their truly green larger tomatoes–not the ones that are starting to ripen.
So are you hungry for chili?
I thought so.
Slow Cooker Green Tomato Chili
2 pounds of ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon of cooking oil. (I use grapeseed oil but you can use coconut oil too.)
2 nice size green peppers
2 pounds green tomatoes.
2 teaspoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of chili pepper. (More if you like spicy.)
½ teaspoon of white pepper
1 cup of tomato sauce
3 roasted garlic
- Take 3 garlic heads and drizzle oil over them. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. (You can use aluminum foil to wrap the garlic as it roasts.)
- Chop the onions and peppers into one inch pieces. Set aside for later.
- Chop up the tomatoes. I didn’t bother with coring them. Set aside for later.
- While the garlic is cooking, brown the ground beef. Drain the fat and put the meat aside.
- Add a tablespoon of the oil to the pan. Then, saute onions and peppers until they are soft.
- Once the garlic is done and cooled. Squeeze out the garlic and add it to the peppers and onions. (Don’t forget to save the leftover skins of the onion and garlic and the any discarded green pepper parts to make scraps for chicken or vegetable broth.)
- Add the meat to the crock pot then the onion-garlic-pepper mixture and tomatoes.
- Then add the spices (cumin, chili pepper, and white pepper.)
- Finally add the tomato sauce and mix everything together.
- Cook for 6 hours on low.
You can add two cups of corn, green beans, or any other vegetables to make it heartier. Serve over cauliflower rice, basmati rice, or black beans with a nice big salad.
Note, the tomato sauce will create lots of liquid. Consider using a soup dish rather than a plate unless you serve chili over something like rice that will sop up the liquid.
Leftover green tomato chili is even better the next day.
Coming up next is more green tomato recipes. It will change your whole perspective from trying to ripen your tomatoes to using them.
Join the Conversation:
How do you use your green tomatoes?