When you think of horseradish, what food pairing comes to mind? Some add horseradish to their tomato juice, others add it to their meatloaf. Using horseradish zings up ho hum dishes. But, you don’t need to grow horseradish to enjoy it. Learn below how to make horseradish. You will never go back to store bought again.
(Read here on how to grow it. It is very easy but can be quite invasive.)
Pick the Right Horseradish
I grow horseradish and use it right away. However, you can buy horseradish at farmer’s markets or at the grocery store. Look for a firm horseradish. If it slightly limp or has spots on it, don’t use buy it. See my video below on what home grown horseradish and its leaves look like.
How to Make Horseradish:
Before you proceed to make horseradish, listed below are a few warnings:
- Fresh horseradish will be much hotter than store bought horseradish.
- Before you process the horseradish, open your windows or take your blender, grater, or food processor outside. The smell is very potent and will make your bawl like a baby. I am not kidding.
- Pour vinegar on the grated horseradish right away to less the strength of the horseradish. Raw horseradish make wasabi look like a wimp.
- A commenter on Simply Recipes noted that she peels the horseradish with the water running. It lessens the smell. (Note, I haven’t tried this yet.)
- Wear gloves. You will thank me later.
Okay. Now you are ready.
- Peel the horseradish. I use my carrot peeler.
- Cut it up into one to two inch slices and throw it in the food processor.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Scrape it out of the bowl and put it in a glass jar for the refrigerator.
My experience has been different probably due to my knee jerk reaction to the smell. I filled up the entire jar with horseradish and vinegar. It took about 2 years for the horseradish smell to dissipate. At the two year mark, the horseradish is still white but doesn’t have much taste.
Listed below are some interesting recipes I found on the internet. Add your favorite recipe in the comments.
- Spelt Risotto with Beets and Horseradish.
- Classic Raw Horseradish and Beets recipe.
- Carrot Horseradish Bread Recipe for Bread Machines
- Tons of recipes on Horseradish.org.
- Pizzeria Mozza’s marinated beets with horseradish
Join the Conversation:
- Do you make your own horseradish?
- What are your favorite horseradish recipes.
Source: How to prepare Horseradish