I thought it would be fun to create a page where everyone can post how they reuse “stuff” that would ordinarily go into the trash. I will go first.
How many of you visit fast food places? Come on, be honest. Wendy’ s is actually one of my favorite places. With four kids participating in many sports at the same time, we end up at Wendy’s, Subway, or pizza. You do not want to know what my car looks like. For all of you cringing out there saying how can you go to fast food places, it is one of my vices besides chocolate.
So, back to the picture. I started planting bulbs this year and I wanted to have a permanent marker where I planted them. Instead of buying fancy markers, I decided to either use the plastic knives or straws that we get with our food. I wash them and then use them as a marker. I need to put some color or something on them because I have to dig up certain bulbs in the fall.
So how have you used your trash??? Inquiring mind want to know.
Update 12/20/2011: Since I posted this article in 2007, I have been on a mission to try to re-purpose, recycle or give away my bound for trash items.
- I have used old screens made into garden shades for newly planted thyme.
- Old Panty Hose that can be use to secure cucumbers and melon to trellises.
- Broken plates have become “stones” to help with drainage for my potted plants.
- Oh, and my favorite, 18 ways to use your old credit cards! Yeah, I know you want to read that one.
And the list goes on. To see other ways to re-purpose or recycle, see my category feed on recycling.
Join the Conversation:
- What have you re-purposed?
- Found a clever way to recycle an item?
- Have any ideas of who to give trash bound items to?