During this week, I have been shedding some light on LEDs especially given the amount of false claims made by manufacturers. The LED industry is suffering from the same thing the green industry suffers from but in this case, it is called LEDwashing or lightwashing. Pick your favorite name.
Just to give you some background, over on Practically Green, I wrote about the advantages and disadvantages of LEDs. Then I followed it up with the fact versus the fiction by obtaining the opinions of three industry lighting experts. I highly recommended reading this article since my experts provide me with sound practical advice. Lastly, I video and podcasted with one of my experts, Lynn Schwartz of LPS Lighting since I really liked his practical tips. We explored both residential and commercial applications.
Instead of giving you a narrative of our conversation, I decided to try something new. I broke down the video into segments so you can listen to what you want. I urge you to listen to the full hour since Lynn did a great job explaining both residential and commercial LED markets.
Residential LED discussion:
- How to help a consumer pick a LED: 1:37- 5:22
- How do you know which type of LED bulb will be the direct replacement for your incandescent or CFL? 5:22-9:30
- What is light spotting? 9:30-11:30
- How LED can create a better lighting situation: 11:30-14:10
- How to pick the right bulb: 14:10-16:28
- Discussion about the Lighting Facts on some LED packaging: 16:28-19:54
- Discussion about the longevity of the bulbs. How does a consumer know? 19:54-23:14
- Discussion about dimming LEDs. Do you need to change your switches? 23:14-26:42
- What is the government doing about the marketing claims? 26:42-28:14
Commercial LED Discussion:
- How does a Facility Manager make the right decision in choosing a LED lighting system? 28:14-32:41
- What’s Lynn advises his commercial clients to use. What is the best bang for the buck. 32:41-39:17
- T-8 bulb vs LED tube. Thoughts about where you would use the LED tubes. 39:17-43:43
- Aspect of Recycling fluorescent bulbs: 43:43-45:10
- Discussion about turning one and off LEDs. Does it shorten its life like a fluorescent bulb? 43:43-47:48
- Discussion about testing of the LEDs and some further questions that facility managers can ask 47:48-53:19
- High bay and parking lot applications: 53:19-58:41
- Discussion about what Lynn’s company does. When would he advise the use of LED. 58:41-63
- How would someone find a LED lighting designer: 63-67:07
I know the video/podcast is long but Lynn did a great job of explaining how to tame the LED wild west.
Join the Conversation:
- What myth are you seeing in the commercial or residential markets
- What products have you had success with
- Are LEDs ready for commercial and residential use?
- Add to Lynn’s discussion with your own thoughts.
- EcoSmart LEDs at Home Depot. Bringing Affordable LEDs to the Main Stream
- LIGHTFAIR 2007-With More Fluorescent Technology, Is Our Quest for Energy Efficiency Short Sighted?
- LED Buying: Road Map to Get Beyond the Marketing Hype
- A LED That Shines Above the Rest
- EcoSmart LED Reveal and Giveaway. Move that Bus!