If you have men in your life, I don’t have to tell you how much they can stink. Believe me, it isn’t an aphrodisiac either. And teens and young adults smell like a gym closet. For years, I have been trying to find the perfect nontoxic deodorant for my boys who complained that all my eco-deodorants left them stinky. (The Ladies wouldn’t like that.) After going through a laundry list of deodorants, Miessence Ancient Spice deodorant was the only one that worked for Son #1. No smell and no rashes.
What the big Deal with conventional deodrant?
Deodorants are made up of many undeciferable chemicals that are harmful to your body. The body was intended to sweat to release toxins.
Top 5 Ingredients to avoid:
1. Parabens have been linked to breast cancer and interfere with the functioning of the endocrine system. Some tip off syllables: methyl, ethyl, benzyl and butyl.
2. Aluminum: It is the key ingredient in most deodorants which plugs the sweat glands. Some insist it is linked to Alzheimer except there are no scientific studies confirming this statement. However, I believe it is better to be on the precautionary side than not.
3. Triclosan: The FDA states this ingredient is used to reduce or prevent bacterial contamination. Orginally formulated as a pesticide, studies have shown that use of Triclosan can alter hormone regulation in laboratory animals, cause antibiotic resistance, or weaken muscle contractions.
4. Talc: It absorbs moisture. However, it can be contaminated with asbestos. There is no regulation of the amount of asbestos allowed.
5. Propelyn glycol: It enhances skin penetration. According to the EWG skin database, it can be an irritant and non-reproductive organ system toxicity.
What Did He Try?
Everyone’s body is different so just because he tried certain deodorants doesn’t mean they wouldn’t work for you.
- Lafe roll on. I use this deodorant and am completely happy. He said it didn’t control odor but didn’t complain of any rashes. See my review here.
- Jason Naturally Fresh (smelled)
- Herbal Clear PG Free (He said it gave him a rash.) I was unhappy with its Skin Deep Database rating.
- All Natural Crystal Body Deodorant (smelled)
- Bumble & Bee Organic Super Spray Deodorant. (smelled and gave him a rash)
Miessence Ancient Spice
As I indicated above, Miessence Ancient Spice was a winner. He even asked me to smell his arm pits. I passed. Plus, he didn’t get a rash! For those ingredient junkies, see below:
“certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, certified organic citrus bergamia (bergamot) essential oil, certified organic vanilla planifolia fruit extract, xanthan gum, sodium bicarbonate, certified organic cinnamomum zeylanicum (cinnamon) leaf essential oil, certified organic syzygium aromatica (clove) bud essential oil, boswellia carteri (frankincense) essential oil, certified organic citrus aurantifolia (lime) essential oil, aqua”
The Company offers three different type of deodorant: Ancient Spice, Tahitian Breeze Deodorant, and Aroma-free. It is also Biological Farmers of Australia certified.
The Cost is $9.95.
If he is happy, then I am happy. Isn’t this how it goes in your family?
Join the Conversation:
- What eco-friendly deodorant does your man use?
- Anyone else get rashes from deodorant?
- Do you make your own and does your man like it?