On the heels of my swoon over Niagara Conservation’s Stealth .8 gallons per flush (GPF) toilet, I would be remiss to not tell you about its older brother, the EcoLogic 1.28 GPF. Now, you might be wondering how can you top an act like the Stealth?
What Makes the EcoLogic Toilet Unique?
The EcoLogic is a very different toilet. It is flapperless. What’s the big thing about flapperless? No leaks from worn out rubber pieces. According to the Company,
“Standard toilet designs contain rubber flush balls that can leak due to improper seating or normal “wear and tear” from corrosive minerals in the water. This is not the case with a “true” flapperless toilet, which has NO sealing devices that control the flow of water from the tank to the bowl. A “true” flapperless toilet eliminates all such sealing devices and resultant concerns for the water conservation industry. In the Niagara Flapperless™ tank, water is self-contained in either a 1.28- or 1.6-gallon “tipping bucket”.
Watch the below video to grasp this technology. It is so simple, it is scary.
In addition, as Kevin of Niagara Conservation explained, the tank does not sweat because all the water is contained in the bucket. In addition, this high efficiency toilet has the following benefits:
• “Two of our models are ADA-approved!
• The EcoLogic™ 1.28 gpf HET toilets meet EPA WaterSense® criteria
• Our EcoLogic™ 1.28 gpf HET elongated model meets HET
• Uses 54-60% less water than a 3.5 gpf toilet (depending on model)
• Powerful one-time flushing
• Less moveable parts to leak and break
• No double-flushing
• No maintenance
• Easy flush action
• Top-rated flushing system
• Ten-year warranty on component parts
• Lifetime warranty on porcelain”
For commercial and multi-residential owners, this toilet is a hassle free alternative to regular leak prone toilets.
How Much Will it Save Me?
There are two different saving componets associated with this toilet. According to the EPA,
“[c]ompared to a 3.5 gallons per flush toilet, a WaterSense labeled toilet could save a family of four more than $90 annually on their water bill, and $2,000 over the lifetime of the toilet.”
In addition, the EPA further states that a leaking toilet could waste 200 gallons of water a day. Just think how much water your will using per year? 200 gallons a day X 365 days=73000 gallons per year. This is real money going down the drain.
The beauty of this toilet is that it takes a vulnerable part out of the equation which causes leaks.
Where Can I Buy This Toilet?
The EcoLogic Elongated toilet sells for $325, and the EcoLogic Rounded Front toilet sells for $305. (Note: the hyperlink for the Rounded toilet reads “1.6” but you are linked to the 1.28 GPF toilet.) Both toilets can be purchased at the Company’s online store. Just follow the hyperlinks above for the toilet of your choice. Additionally, the EcoLogic is sold under the name Glacier Bay at Home Depot for $98.
What are the Reviews about this Toilet?
There are over 100 reviews on this Home Depot toilet. I would highly recommend you read the reviews. They are quite insightful. Overall, the Glacier Bay toilet was given a 4.2/5.0. Many of the reviewers disliked the seat and the wax ring that came with the toilet. However, they bought a Beamis seat for about $20, and another wax ring. One reviewer mentioned that the toilet clogged and another said it leaked.
Over on bizzillion, it was rated well too, but again, read the reviews. The reviewers gave it a 4.1/5.0. What might seem just a quirk to one reviewer, might be a nightmare for you. One reviewer said that he disliked the flapperless concept, and another said that flush mechanism is troublesome.
Join the Conversation
- Have you installed this toilet?
- Had any problems?
- Thoughts about the flapperless component?
- Is there a 1.28 toilet that you love?
- Wondering why there is such a difference between the Home Depot and the Companies online store toilet. Big difference in price. Maybe less problems?
- Why the Stealth Toilet with its .8 Gallon per Flush Stole My Heart
- Tap-n-Flush Toilet Water Conservation Device Review
- Green Home Products I Love at Greenbuild Philly
- Water Conservation Products Backed by Education. American Standard’s Newest Effort
- TriMax Showerhead and Aerator. Be in Control of Your Water Conservation