Photo Courtesy of Enviromental Working Group
I just received this important email from the Environmental Working Group. Please read, sign the petition, and forward either this post or the EWG ‘s email letter to your friends. They need 30,000 signatures by July 15. I just signed the petition. Thanks for reading and supporting this cause.
EWG Action Fund
Spread the Word
Just 6 days left!
“According to the subsidy data from the Environmental Working Group, one giant cotton farm collected $2.95 million through crop subsidies in 2005, nearly as much money as the federal government spent on its primary research program for organic agriculture last year — $3 million.”
— The New York Times, July 4, 2007
“The Debate Over Subsidizing Snacks”
New York Times reporters aren’t the only ones poring over the information in EWG’s Farm Subsidy Database. The unfair funding distributions have everyone’s attention and EWG Action Fund’s Grow Organics Campaign for organics funding is taking off. Thanks to your generous support, we surpassed our goal and raised a total of $45,000! These vital funds will help our staff meet with lawmakers to gain support for crucial changes in the Farm Bill.
But organics aren’t safe yet. In just a two short weeks the full House will vote on a new Farm Bill, which could be the first to include significant funding for organics. To make this happen, our Representatives need to hear from us! Add your voice to the Grow Organics petition today.
More than 17,000 of you have signed on to level the playing field for organic farmers with the petition so we’re more than halfway to our goal! Now is the time to reach out to your social networks and get them involved in the campaign.
The more signatures on the petition, the more powerful our demand for fair funding will be – so spread the word today. Help EWG Action Fund tell Congress to shift funding from chemical-based agriculture to more environmentally friendly organics. Here’s what you can do:
- Sign the Grow Organics petition
- Tell 10 friends or family members to sign the petition by forwarding this email or using the tell a friend page
- Add a link to the petition to your blog or e-mail signature: www.ewg.org/organics/petition
- Spread the word on your listserv or in your e-newsletter – link to www.ewg.org/organics/petition
- Add the “Grow Organics – Sign the Petition” button to your blog or MySpace page
At EWG Action Fund, we’re working with other groups, bloggers, and our Congressional champions to spread the word about fair funding for organics. Our goal is to get 30,000 signatures by this Sunday, July 15 and deliver them to Congress next week. Let’s win this victory for organics.
Director of Government Affairs
P.S. If you haven’t donated yet, it’s not too late! Visit www.ewg.org/donate/organics to contribute to the campaign.”
- Environmental Working Group Reaches 30,000 Votes for Organic Farmers’ Funding Petition. Seeking More Signatures!
- NJ Gov Offices, Stop Spending Money on Plastic Water Bottles
- Get off the Couch and Make a Phone Call!
- Say No to New Jersey Clean Energy Budget Cut
- Sign the Petition to Overhaul the Toxic Sustance Control Act