Could your mattress be the culprit to your sleep deprivation? Do you toss and turn and wake up with a sore back? This was me. As a gardener, I abuse my body with my constant twisting and bending. But not any mattress will do. I only wanted a nontoxic healthier mattress since my mattress should meet the same requirements as my organic garden–pure, healthy, and made with care. Sleep On Latex mattress fit the bill. I was given a mattress to review and I only review products that align with my nontoxic mission.
Why Should You Care About Your Mattress?
Conventional mattresses may contain a whole host of chemicals that could be harmful to you.
- Flame Retardants such as PBDEs or its alternatives may be added to your mattress. According to the Environmental Working Group, flame retardants may cause cancer, hormone disruption, and adverse effects on the immune system.
- Other chemical such as formaldehyde contained in adhesives or other parts of the mattress may release harmful volatile organic chemicals which can cause respiratory irritation.
- According to Consumer Reports, harmful pesticides may have been used to grow the cotton surrounding your mattress.
- The Polyurethane foam in mattresses may emit volatile organic compounds that can cause respiratory health problems.
I don’t know about you but I definitely want to ditch the conventional mattress. How about you?
What Should You Look For in a Mattress?
Avoid mattresses that claim to be natural or ones that claim to be certified organic unless they have been certified by either the Global Organic Textile Certification (GOTS) or the Global Organic Latex Certification (GOLS).
Under GOTS, a mattress must be made of 95% certified organic fiber and prohibits use of harmful material and chemicals. On the other hand, GOLS certification requires that latex come form a certified organic source.
However, there are other standards such as Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and Greenguard standards which will lessen your exposure to harmful chemicals. Both test products for potentially harmful chemical emissions and set limits on volatile chemical compounds. However, Oeko-Tex also bans certain flame retardants and dyes that are carcinogenic and also ban all allergens.
If you are unable to afford a latex mattress, opt for a polyurethane mattress that is certified by CertiPUR-US. This standard prohibits mattresses from containing certain flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and those that deplete ozone . In addition, all mattresses must contain low emitting volatile organic compounds (VOCs.)
Sleep on Latex: The Healthier Mattress Choice
In the past, I had purchased latex mattresses for my children. The mattress had to be non-toxic and be of the utmost quality. At the time, there weren’t many companies on the market that made latex mattresses. Plus, the cost of the mattresses were very expensive.
Their products contained the following attributes:
- Their cotton is GOTS certified which is one of the highest levels of environmental certification for fabrics. (I have written about several green fabrics HERE with that certification.) In fact, the mattress is encased in a removable cotton quilt. When you see this beautiful quilt, you just want to lie down on the mattress.
2. Their wool is organic and also certified. I only wanted a mattress with organic wool since sheep are sprayed with a pesticide to rid them of certain pests.
3. Latex mattress is certified as Oeko-Tex Class 1 which again is a wonderful certification for non toxicity in a mattress.
4. The natural latex doesn’t contain fillers or synthetic by-products. The latex is from Sri Lanka. The company has worked with this particular factory for many years.
5. There are no metal springs in the mattress.
6. The mattresses are assembled in Chicago to insure quality.
7. If you aren’t satisfied for whatever reason, you can return the mattress.
8. They offer a 10 year warranty!
9. They offer free shipping.
10. It is comfortable.
What Kind of Mattresses Do They Offer?
They offer a 7 or 9 inch mattress or pillow tops. Each mattress has a 6 inch base of latex, then a 1 inch base of organic wool. Then you can add 2 more inches of latex. I have the mattress which is 9 inch.
I would highly recommend the 9 inches. I have a competitor’s 7 inch mattress and it feel a little too firm.
You can purchase a variety of sizes from twin to California King. Prices start at $645 to $1699.
How Do They Ship the Mattress?
It arrived in a box. When you unroll it, it flattens out. It is very heavy so you may need more than 2 people to move the mattress around. If you plan to move it to another room, I suggest you try and re-roll it up and carry it to the other room.
As a side note, if you have a bed with slats or a box spring, it is advisable to get a non-toxic piece of plywood like one from Columbia Forest to put under the mattress. Otherwise, the mattress will sink between the slats. The Company recommends that the slats should not be more than 1 inch apart.
I purchased a Plushbed foundation for the bed.
My Thoughts About the Bed?
How does my back feel? I don’t wake up with a stiff back in the morning. In the past, it was painful for me to get out of bed. So this mattress is a keeper.
So back to you. Is it time to get rid of the toxins where you sleep? Give Sleep On Latex a try. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.