Team BeauSoleil from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette will be entering their solar home in the Solar Decathlon from October 9-13 and October 15-18 in Washington DC. 20 Universities will be participating. (See here to watch videos of all the teams. ) This is the first time any team from the University has entered the contest. What makes the Ragin’ Cajuns’ home so unique is that the students took their first hand experiences of the ravages of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to help design their coastal home.
Why the name? It means “Beautiful Sun in French” or “Sunshine” in Cajun French. Watch the video above to see how they married their culture and the environment into this modest 800 highly functional space.
For updates on how this team does during the Decathlon, follow them on their Facebook page.
- Green Design + Efficiency Married in Solar Decathlon Austria Home
- Team NJ ENJOY Solar Decathlon House: Thermal, Longevity & Low Maintenance
- Solar Decathlon 2011. Everything Green Under the Sun
- Russian Tarragon. Should it Have a Place in Your Garden?
- Green Video Competition Entertains & Raises Enviro Awareness